SILICONE MICRO OPTICAL SYSTEM
THE LASTING LIGHTING SOLUTION
NLS Lighting Silicone Micro Optical System technology takes quality and performance to the highest level.
Vandal resistant, superior clarity—Micro Optics have become the best and lasting solution in the industry.
• Produces superior 96% clarity
• Heat resistant to 200° C, 50% higher than acrylic
• Ecologically friendly—no glare
• Does not brittle, crack, or yellow over time
INDEPENDENT TEST REPORT BY DOW CORNING
Results clearly show benefits Silicone vs. Competitive Optics.
• Silicone remains optically clear post UV and Heat aging tests
• Dow Corning’s test focuses on the areas of optical properties, their dependencies on temperature & UV aging, and the stability of mechanical properties after thermal aging
KEY PUBLISHED PROPERTIES OF SILICONE
• Rated for long‐term temperature use at 150°C, PMMA is 90°C
• Transmission properties unchanged due to UV and thermal aging > 4,500 hrs. at 65°C
• Reflection properties unchanged > 10,000 hrs. at 150°C
• No discoloring due to thermal aging after 6,000 hrs. at 130°C • Better chemical resistance over PMMA
• Some mechanical properties were degraded after 10,000 hrs. at 150°C but these were not seen as an issue since these were beyond the scope of actual in‐service usage
• Shore A hardness increased by approximately 8%. Since the conformability of the silicone affects the sealing of the optical assembly IP‐67 capability after thermal aging should be verified.
• Temperature limit of 90°C
• Immediate change transmission properties due to UV & thermal aging
• Major yellowing due to thermal aging after 6,000 hrs. at 65°C
• Poor chemical resistance compared to Silicone
• Hardness decreases—gets significantly brittle